Saturday, April 26, 2014

Ninja Turtle Shell's for TMNT Birthday Party!


 
Ninja Turtle Birthday Party!

This is a very very LATE post BUT, I have been getting a lot of re-pin’s from my pinterest page from Stella’s birthday party so I decided I would put a How-to together for all those pinners who want to know just HOW I did the ninja turtle shell’s and masks.

These shells really were such a great addition to the party, all the kids wanted to have one and then they all took them home as one of their party favors!  


Supplies:
Aluminum “ Shells”
2 Light Green Spray Paint Cans
1 Dark Green Spray Paint Can
Scissors
Patience
Brown Ribbon. 1”-2” (depends on size of shell)
            I needed roughly 10 yards for 10 shells, with excess.


First.

You’ll need to get aluminum tins, you can either get the small 9inch round tins that I used, or you can get the large “turkey,” size ones that are more of an oval shaped. This party was for a bunch of 3 and 4 year old kids so I went with the smaller shaped because the turkey size covered my daughter all the way to the backs of her knees.




When you’re picking up these tins, make sure you get at least one or even two extra because you will need this as the stencil, (also sometimes when you’re cutting you just go to far and cut the whole darn thing,)


Second.

Get some spray paint. I used Krylon light green for the base color of the shells. I would suggest getting two cans per 10 shells you are making. You actually use more than you think you would. I used a Krylon Emerald green paint for the inside print on the shells. I think you could use any dark colored green; I just used what was in our garage. 

Paint those Shells!

Wait for them to dry. I actually waited and didn’t do the stencil part until the next day just to be sure. The aluminum doesn’t hold paint super great, so be prepared for the paint to rub off once the kids get ahold of these bad boys.

 

Third.

Take your extra shell and cut out the “blocks” that are already pre-dented in the tin. Make sure you use sharp scissors and I poked the center then tried to cut to the edges. (If you don’t poke the center and move outwards there is a good chance you’ll cut the whole way to the edge and just mess up everything, like I did my first try.)


When you paint the stencil don’t try to coat it. If you do, it will leak through and smear. I just did little puffs of the paint to get the idea of the “shell print.”

MORE drying…… I suggest giving yourself a few days before the party to do these, they aren’t easy to do really fast.
 They dry pretty quickly, but try not to move them right after you paint them. Your fingers will leave marks.
 
LAST:

Take your Ribbon and measure around your child. Make sure it has enough excess to tie around the kids.
Feed the ribbon through two slits you make through the sides. Make sure that you go down far enough on each side so that the ribbon cuts across the shell.

Now you have awesome shells for your little turtles to wear!

Depending on the age of the kids, they may wear their shells over one shoulder because it simply does stay on better and doesn’t bother them as much.


I hope yours turn out wonderful, they add just that little oomph to the party and every kid feels that much more like a ninja. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment